Why do I need to always have the latest firmware on my NETGEAR product?
Nowadays, millions of the Netgear routers are of the threat of getting hacked. One of the simplest things you can do to protect your devices is the firmware update to prevent this issue. The firmware is software that controls the behavior of the router.Hence, it is always recommended to update the firmware for the Netgear products.
An updated version of firmware fix bugs, equipped with additional features and offers more secure options for your router. Therefore, always keep an eye on the available firmware update so that you can download an updated version of the firmware to enjoy its benefits. The downloading process may vary for different routers; you can check out the user manual and get it done accordingly. Hereby in this blog, we will discuss different ways of downloading the firmware to ease your process.
Steps to Update Firmware Manually
- If you prefer a manual updating firmware of your Routerlogin net, be sure to check the following steps.
- In the initial step, visit the official website of Netgear router and move to the support page.
- You will notice a search box on the top. Enter your specific model number in the box and
- Next, select your particular model number from the drop-down list.
- Click on the ‘Firmware and Software Downloads’.
- Check out the latest version of firmware as per mentioned on your Netgear router.
- Get it downloaded by clicking on the download button. You will receive a zip file for this. Unzip the file and run the .exe file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
How to perform firmware update through Smart Wizard Interface ?
Netgear often provides the latest version of firmware to add recent features and to enhance the productivity of the product. It can be noticed on the top of the login window when you initiate the login process, a message occurs on the Netgear login window that displays that your router has an available update for the firmware. Here are the steps to follow:
- First of all, connect the router with your home network through a wireless method.
- Open any of the web browsers, like Chrome, Mozilla, Safari etc.
- Enter routerlogin net or Netgear router login and press ‘Enter’ to continue the process.
- The login window display where you have to enter the username and password.
- Click ‘Ok’ > a Smart Setup Screen appears.
- Go to the Maintenance option and click on the ‘Router Upgrade’.
- Click on the check button.
- If you notice a new upgrade of firmware available, click ‘Yes’.
- Follow the instruction appears on the screen to complete the process.
Updating firmware by Netgear Nighthawk App
The users can easily update the firmware with the help of Netgear Nighthawk app, you just have to follow some steps to proceed further. Check out the steps given below.
- Get your mobile device is connected with the available wifi network in your home.
- Launch the Netgear Nighthawk app from the play store.
- Type user name and password if required to sign-in.
- Click on the image of your router.
- Go to the ‘Router Settings’ page and locate ‘Check for updates’
- If you find an available update, click on ‘Yes’ to update.
It is recommended not to interrupt between the process, as it can cause harm to the router and connected device. The process will take a few minutes to complete. Your router will restart automatically after the update finishes.
Process for updating firmware with the help of the Web Browser method
Follow these instructions, if you wish to update with the help of the Web browser method.
- Connect your router with the computer by using an Ethernet cable.
- Visit any web browser of your choice and enter the ‘Default IP address’ or ‘Netgear login’ in the web address bar.
- Enter the required login credentials and press ‘Enter’ to continue with the process.
- If you are a first-time user, then you can use the default user name and password which is ‘Admin’.
- In the next step, go to the ‘Advanced Settings’ > ‘Administration’ > ‘Firmware update’.
- Click on the check button and if you notice a firmware update is available, then click on ‘Yes’ to proceed further. It will take a few minutes to complete the process.
How many computers or devices can be connected wirelessly to a router at the same time?
Routers come up with single-band & dual-band. We can connect 32 devices with single-band router, but if your router is dual-band then we can connect 64 devices. If you need to connect more devices.
Do NETGEAR home routers support SNMP?
If we talk about SNMP, none of Netgear home routers supports SNMP.
Can I change the username “admin” of the router?
Netgear routers come up with default user name & password settings. You can’t change the user name of the router, but you can change the password to access the router.
Do NETGEAR home routers support a 3rd party NAS?
You can connect any network storage device to the Netgear router with the help of Ethernet cable. Be sure to use a proper IP address so that you can easily connect it with the network. If you want to access the file from NAS using a computer is outside of Netgear support. It is recommended to talk to your NAS service provider for additional assistance.
Hence, by using the above methods, you can easily update the firmware by following any of the processes. Hereby we have also discussed some of the frequently asked questions that came to everyone’s mind while working with the Netgear routers. If you have any queries in mind you can get in touch with us directly by calling on our toll-free number or chat with us via the Live chat window. Our technical service providers are all time available to assist you 24*7. Let us know your feedback on the comment section.